Lemon Kefir Ice Cream
- 400 ml (1 2/3 cups) kefir
- the zest from a large organic lemon
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice
- 130 grams (1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons) agave syrup (I used sugar)
- a good splash of limoncello (or rum, or cachaça) (optional) (I used a bit of rum)
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until blended. Cover, refrigerate for an hour until well chilled, and churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve with thin butter cookies, a handful of berries, and/or candied violets.
I'd be good with buttermilk as well. I added maybe 1 - 2 Tbs rum and it keeps the ice cream from freezing too hard. It's super simple, and really good. Considering the kefir was "low-fat," this didn't have that disappointing flavor and texture that most frozen yogurt has. It's very rich, and smooth, and has that nice tang of the kefir.
Garnished with miniature edible marigolds called "Lemon Gem."